Curried goat porridge is a popular West African dish that is known for being rich in flavor and can be lightly spiced with a vegetable sauce to balance out its salty taste. A favorite staple in the region, the traditional dish has been gaining more popularity in Western cultures due to its more palatable tastes.
The goat meat recipe would make an excellent meal to share with a loved one. If you enjoy the ordinary yam porridge, then I am positive you will enjoy this even more!
It takes 1 hour and 15 minutes to make this curry goat yam recipe. A standard curry goat yam recipe would take much longer. The sauce permeates the meat as it cooks, which means that you can enjoy an even tastier meal in no time.
Do you plan to prepare your curry goat dish in advance? You can freeze it for up to 1 week by placing it in an airtight container. Make sure there is no air in the container and seal it well before storing
Here is a list of all the ingredients needed for this recipe:
Yam (washed and cubed)
Suya seasoning (Optional)
Bouillon powder (Optional)
Curry Goat Meat Yam
- 800 g Goat meat
- 400 g Yam (washed and cubed)
- 70 g Onion
- 100 g Tomatoes
- 20 g Chilli pepper
- 20 g Scotch bonnet
- 75 g Carrots
- 10 g Ginger
- 7 g Garlic
- 3 g Curry
- 2 g Nutmeg
- 2 g thyme leaves
- 2 g Suya seasoning (Optional)
- 14 g Bouillon powder
- 40 g Vegetable oil
- 3 Bay leaf
- 5 g Salt
- 12 cups Water
- Spring onion for garshing
- Wash goat meat with salted water and cut in chucks keep them on a sieve to drain out water.
- Peel the yam and cut it into cubes. Place them in a bowl of cold water to stop them from changing color.
- In a clean large pot add goat, onion, chili pepper, carrots, ginger, garlic, bay leaf, nutmeg, thyme leaves, suya seasoning, curry, salt, scotch bonnet, tomato, and bouillon powdervegetable oil.
- Mix to combine.
- Bring the pot to a low temperature, stir constantly for 5 minutes without looking away or letting go of the spoon.
- Fill the pot with water to cover the meat.
- Cook for 1 hour till meat is tender.
- Blend the sauce (without the cooked meat) with the vegetables using either a blender or food processor.
- Add water and cubed yam. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until they are fully cooked.
- Seasoned to your taste.
- Serve and Enjoy!!!
- Different cuts of goat meat will contain different levels of fat, connective tissue density, etc. which are all factors that will affect cooking time.
- Feel free to experiment with different spices that you may enjoy.