The first time I eat funnel cake was when I traveled with my boss as we were standing in the long queue waiting to place an order for a funnel cake for about 30 minutes waiting, here comes the swirl round funnel cake It’s crunchy and delicious and slightly sweet with the lots of dusting icing sugar, I enjoyed my treat no part was left out and surprisingly they are very easy and fun to make at home.
With the right amount of Constance batter, you are good to go just swirling around your frying oil. Now I see why it is called funnel cake because the batter is pass through a funnel dispenser to fried. There are many different ways of dispensing the battering weather funnel, pastry bag, or zip lock the taste is the same.
Here are the basic ingredients for making funnel cake:
- White sugar
- Baking powder
- Vegetable oil For frying
- Powder sugar
Strawberry Funnel Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Strawberry for garnish
- Digestive biscuit crumb for topping
- Strawberry syrup for drizzling
- In a clean bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt mix together set aside.
- In a separate small bowl mix eggs and milk, beat well. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well till there are no lumps the consistency of the batter will be thin enough to run through a funnel should be little running.
- Pour the mixture into a pastry bag keep aside.
- Place oil in a skillet and heat until hot. Heat around 375 degrees. Too hot oil will cause the outside to get too crispy while the insides haven't fully cooked.
- Snip the tip and pipe batter in a circular pattern into hot oil to achieve a dizzying pattern.
- Be very careful when pouring the batter into the hot oil so it does not cause the oil to splash.
- Cook on each side for about 1 to 2 minutes until is golden brown. (A bit longer if making larger ones). flipping halfway through, place on paper towels to drip out any excess oil. Repeat the process till no batter is left.
- Dust with powdered sugar
- Transfer into a serving plate, topped with a scoop of ice cream with some fresh strawberries, with a drizzle of strawberry syrup top with crushed digestive
- Serve warm.