Ukodo (White Pepper soup porridge )
- 1 medium Catfish (fresh)
- 2 large Unripe plantain
- 3 tbsp Calabash Nutmeg (ground)
- 2 tbsp uda (ground)
- 5 cups of water
- 1 Scotch bonnet
- 1 small size onion
- 2 tbsp Cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp Ginger
- 1 Chicken Maggi cube
- Scent leave and Salt to taste
- Wash your fresh catfish with hot water to remove dirt from the fishSet aside
- Peel off plantain to remove skin and cut into 3 parts but you can cut your own to the sizes of your choice. Set aside.
- Pour water into your pot add the plantain and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Cover the pot with lid and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add your spices and the fish to the boiling plantain and let it cook for another 5 minutes
- Add your seasoning let cook all till you are sure your fish is fully cooked and the sauce is a bit thickened and also running.
- Put off the fire and add you’re washed scent leaf and cover it for 3 seconds
- Mind you, you are not cooking the scent leaf because you still want to retain their freshness nutrients. Serve hot
- You can substitute plantain for yam.
- Remove seed from pepper If you do not want too spicy but if you are the spicy food type you can add more.
- When washing the fish make sure the fish do not stay in the hot water for long less than 2 seconds less you cook the fish and then transferred immediately to a bowl of cool water to avoid the fish be cooked
Today’s recipe reminds me of my childhood, I remember how my grandmother use to always wake me up in the morning with a bowl of Ukodo which is popularly known as white porridge as the name already signifies you have in mind that you need some fish, pepper, unripe plantain, and spices to match. My aunt will always pay a visit to our house first in the morning just to be able to get a bowl of the hot creamy yummy plantain fish pepper soup.
In the village where I grew up every child is a pro in making pepper soup and of course, it has good health benefits especially in the cool and rainy season; it is a medicinal soup to us. Our traditional meal is also very good for new mothers that just gave birth I think it’s because of the health benefits in those spices that make it stands out in every home in the village, this represents a cup of coffee in the City lol.
This creamy pepper soup can be made with fresh fish, dry fish, goat meat, assorted, beef, even pork meat did I just mentioned pork omg that is so tasty that you can even eat more than a portion without realizing you are in a guilty pleasure meal.
In this recipe, I used fresh fish and the recipe is so simple with just a few ingredients and you have your guests wowed. The good part is that this meal can be eaten in the morning, afternoon, and evening.
These are the list of spices I used in this recipe can be found on my website or in the local market
- Calabash Nutmeg
Botanical name: Monodora Myristica
2. Negro pepper
Local name: Uda
Botanical name: Xylopia Aethiopica
Other names: African/ Guinea/ Ethiopian Pepper
3. Scent leaves
Botanical Name: Ocimum gratissimum
Common Name: African basil